Business Licenses

General Business License Information

The City of Duvall requires businesses located within the city limits to acquire and maintain a business license. This applies to businesses with a physical location, home occupations, as well as door-to-door (solicitor) sales.

City and State Business Licensing Services

The City of Duvall and other area cities partner with the State of Washington for business licensing, providing a streamlined application process. Simply apply for your City of Duvall license endorsement when you apply for your state license or add the local endorsement to your existing state license. 

The cost for the Duvall endorsement is $55.00 per calendar year. The state will automatically send annual renewal notices for your local endorsements. There are three ways to file the Business License Application and supplemental forms:
  • File online, using your credit card: Filing online is the fastest method to apply because your application does not require mail delivery or the information to be input manually, which can save you a week or two in the registration process.
  • File by mail: Complete the Business License Application and the City Business License Addendum and mail with the appropriate fee (check or money order payable to Department of Revenue) to:
    • Business Licensing Service
    • Department of Revenue
    • PO Box 9034
    • Olympia, WA  98507-9034
  • File in person: You can pick up and turn in the application and addendum at Duvall City Hall, 15535 Main Street NE, during normal business hours. *Please note that this method takes the longest time to process because the City has to mail all of the forms to the State and then they have to manually input your information before processing your license application.

You can contact the State Department of Revenue directly by calling 360-705-6741 if you have any questions about the State license or City addendum process. You can also find helpful information at the Doing Business in Washington State website.

Home Occupation Business Licenses

Home Occupations are businesses that are run out of a person's home. They include, but are not limited to, web-based businesses, daycares, and businesses where the main office is out of the home. When applying for the state license and city endorsement, indicate that your business is a home occupation. Staff may contact you for additional information prior to approving your business license application based on the requirements in your particular neighborhood.

Peddler/Solicitor/Canvasser Licenses

The City of Duvall requires peddlers/solicitors/canvassers to acquire and maintain a City Solicitor's License. A peddler/solicitor/ canvasser is defined in the Duvall Municipal Code as any person, either a principal or agent, who goes from place to place within the City, and who:

  • Sells, take orders for, or offers to sell, any goods, wares, or merchandise whether or not collecting in advance for such goods, wares or merchandise; and/or
  • Sells, take orders for, or offers to sell services, whether or not collecting in advance for such services; and/or
  • Seeks contributions or donations to private causes, as opposed to tax-exempt charities; and/or
  • Seeks opinions, preferences or other information for commercial purposes
  • There are some exemptions to this license requirement. View the entire peddlers, solicitors, and canvassers code for more details.
There is a fee of $40.00 for each person engaging in such activities which includes at fee of $10.00 for a criminal history background investigation. Each solicitor is required to wear a laminated badge issued by the city, providing notification to residents.